Thursday, March 15, 2007

2003 May 22nd

That was a very special birthday for me.

1 month before May 22, 2003. I received a birthday card from Dad. It was a very nice and "in" birthday card. Not those "flower" or with lots of "words"...

A very nice birthday with a big head girl on the cover, I was surprised when I opened it. Dad placed a CAN$1000 cheque inside. It was for me to go on the USA trip with the business I was in. I was so nice of him and he knew that I really wanted to go...

I did went with my partners, my friends, but I didn't have a good time. I wasn't really in that business. I had so many doubts about that, but I went there to check it out myself.

That CAN$1000 cheque meant a lot to me. Not only an open eye experience, but it almost took my Dad's life. After my birthday, it seemed so normal, but the peaceful period didn't last long until May 30th evening.

I still remember clear that King, Ka ho, Mom and I were eating dinner. Mom was asking why Dad didn't call home (Dad called 4 times a day, every 4 hours call once), and the phone rang. Ka Ho picked up the phone, and he changed his face suddenly into serious mode. I was joking with King and Boy jai at a time that may be someone's parents called and yelled at him, Mom picked up the phone, and I only heard mom kept asking "what happened?" and she started to cry. I knew that was Auntie 8 called and I got the phone from Mom. Mom was shiffering herself off the chair, brothers went to take care of mom.

I said Hello to a person I didn't like to talk to. She was crying, and begging me not to push his brother anymore. I was so lost, so I was yelling at her to calm down. She stopped sobbing and said that Dad was in ICU and didn't know what happened, but she knew Dad was under a great pressure financially and end up, he puked blood (1/3 of the blood in his body) the night he on-called in the hopsital....

I still remembered every single moment since then, how I ended the phone, how to comfort Mom, how to discuss with brothers the situation, first time how to pray altogether, how to get money for mom and I fly back to Hong Kong, etc. Seriously, I didn't want to be this organized, but I was preparing the worse.

That was SARS period, and AC & CX cut a lot of flights to Hong kong, We had to wait until June 2nd to fly back. That was May 31st. I was looking for the tickets and I was at the 11th Scout Ceremony (being a guest). Phone rang, "invalid call", I knew it was from Hong Kong. I picked up the phone... I hardly heard Dad's voice. I was released, but he was crying. He was afraid that he would not see me anymore, everytime when he sobbed, he hurt... My heart was broken. My heart left my body ... drainned down the floor... my soul left me and already flied back to Hong Kong...

I knew how much Dad loved me and I hope I would be able to show him, but... I was that kind didn't know how to show my love to my Dad...

Dad, that is a place I want to take you to enjoy. Fresh Air, Nice sightseeing... please enjoy your life.

No comments: